Specialist – Communications System
The Specialist- Communications System is responsible for supervising and/or executing work packages related to the design, integration, installation, troubleshooting, testing of Communication system for the assigned programs/projects, in order to ensure systems are in line with technical specifications & ensure programs are completed as per the project plan and budget, as well as monitoring and controlling Communication Systems related maintenance and repair jobs including manpower and materials usage in order to ensure appropriate systems maintenance are applied to all phases of the development and job completion within budgetary requirements.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical/Electronics/Telecommunications Engineering or other internationally recognised technical qualification in a related engineering field.
- 3 years of relevant experience as an engineer in communication systems designing, manufacture, integration, trials and subsequent support
- Past employment with a combat system contractor and/or as a Naval Communications Engineer would be considered a major advantage.
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
- Knowledge of technical evaluation, installation and trials aspects of Communications systems.
- Knowledge in shipbuilding maintenance.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings and technical manuals.
- Knowledge of shipboard electronic systems and navigation systems Ability to build positive and effective relationships with customers, suppliers and colleagues.
- Project management literacy
- Communication skills
- Planning and organising skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to multitask and coordinate with the other departments.
- Interpersonal skills
Communication Systems Engineering, Integration, Support & Maintenance
- Assists and coordinates during the design, physical and functional integration, troubleshooting, testing and quality control of Communication system equipment (HF/UHF/VHF radios, tactical radios, SDR, PABX, GMDSS, Radio Direction Finders, Data Link 11/16/22/JREAP, Message Handling System, SatCom) for the assigned program, ensuring compliance with technical drawings and specifications.
- Plans and manages any special installations that may be required by systems vendors.
- Develops Communication System technical specifications and/or supports other appropriate departments and end users in developing technical documentation
- Reviews Factory Acceptance Tests Procedures and, if required, attends Factory Acceptance Tests
- Prepares Test Plans and Test Procedures for on board acceptance campaigns
- Directs and executes on board acceptance activities
- Supports the preparation of communication systems proposals for new projects examining them from a time, effort, location and design angle in order to determine project feasibility.
- Provides support during the bid process for the preparation of technical and commercial proposals.
- Defines all materials necessary within specified time requirements in order to execute job schedule, ensure their correctness within agreed standards.
- Manages changes in the contractual technical requirements, evaluates impacts, analyse alternatives, prepares change requests
- Conducts site surveys to verify work is carried out to the appropriate standards, as needed by projects requirements
- If required, supports Configuration Management for Systems and documents
- If required, plans and executes preventive and corrective maintenance for combat systems of specific knowledge
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Can be assigned as Project Leader in accordance with matrix organization of the department
- Works in close coordination with project managers to ensure the project is being executed within the specified time and cost estimated.
- Supports the establishment milestone dates, important decision points and project approach to ensure all activities adhere to the project goals and contribute to the profitability of ADSB.
- Assesses the risk of new projects in order to provide project management with an informed view of the risks involved and proposes risk mitigation measures to enable the projects to proceed with acceptable levels of risk.
- Tracks the performance against set work schedules and plans for assigned program in order to ensure work is conducted as per client specifications, timelines and budget.
- Supports the preparation of schedules, plan charts and progress reports in order to track the performance of the associated system projects
- Supports the technical management of subcontracts associated with the assigned programs/projects by analysing material requirements, ensuring material requests are submitted in a timely manner in order to maintain the program schedule, verify progress, identify changes if required.
- Maintains coordination with internal departments (e.g. planning, engineering, integrated project team etc.) To ensure smooth flow of activities as per agreed standards, schedules and objectives
Quality, Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures, standards, controls and systems across manufacturing / resource management activities to guarantee employee health and safety, compliance with statutory and classification requirements, delivery of high quality work (in line with quality control standards).
- Motivates self & subordinates and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account international leading practices, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
- Recommends improvements to departmental policy and manages the implementation of procedures and controls covering all areas of activity so that all relevant procedural requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective services.
Progress Updates and Reports
- Reports critical progress updates and findings to line management so that prompt action is taken to minimise impact on the overall program.