Superintendent – Yard Services
The Superintendent- Yard Services is responsible for overseeing the yard areas ensuring their effective and optimal use in line with applicable standards and requirements and to also assisting the Head of Section in the management of yard resources from across the different trades through interfacing with internal departments (planning, projects teams) in order to support in the achievement of departmental objectives
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Electrical, Marine, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from a reputable university
- 10 years of relevant experience in commercial and/or military ship building with a specialisation in yard services, including at least 3 years in positions involving managerial or supervisory
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Kills se ecialisation in structural and welding worksal or supervisory responsibiltiies.portions of project contracts are complnowledge of ships (i.e. performance, stability, technical drawings, technical specifications, etc.)
- Knowledge of industry standards for yard facilities and areas
- Knowledge of international ship building standards
- Knowledge of technical evaluation, installation and trials aspects of combat system equipment and systems
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings and technical manuals.
- Project management skills
- People management skills
- Planning and organising skills
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong Analytical skills
- Detailed oriented
- Communication skills
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
Yard Area Management
- Manages the yard area, provides guidance, encourages teamwork, facilitates professional work processes, and resolves any crucial onsite issues in order to achieve targets and standards while satisfying internal and external customer needs.
Yard Area Optimisation
- Coordinates with all departments and project teams using the yard construction areas to ensure the effective and efficient use of all ship construction and storage facilities within the yard, in line with ADSB systems and procedures.
- Inspects yard areas and facilities and works with project teams and yard users to ensure compliance with ADSB and industry standards.
Waste and Scrap Material
- Controls the disposal of scrap material in order to ensure that it is sorted and disposed of in a manner that minimises losses to ADSB and also ensure the disposal of hazardous wastes in line with procedures and standards.
Yard Material Requirements
- Coordinates with relevant internal departments to ensure the timely delivery of yard materials for various yard facilities, in line with safety standards and requirements.
- Liaises with equipment suppliers and other parties as required in order to achieve the system readiness on time.
- Leads and ensures on-going coordination to ensure the smooth flow of activities as per agreed standards, plans and objectives.
Supervision of Subordinates
- Organizes and supervises the activities and work of subordinates to ensure that all work within a specific area of activity is carried out in an efficient manner which is consistent with operating policies and procedures.
- Provides on-the-job training and constructive feedback to subordinates to support their overall development.
Quality, Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures, standards, controls and systems across manufacturing / resource management activities to guarantee employee health and safety, compliance with statutory and classification requirements, delivery of high quality work (in line with quality control standards).
- Motivate subordinates and identify opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account international leading practices, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement. Analyse customer satisfaction surveys and prepare corrective action reports.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
- Recommends improvements to departmental policy and manages the implementation of procedures and controls covering all areas of activity so that all relevant procedural requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective service.