Is responsible for providing support in creation of design proposals for various design concepts related to NIMR vehicle and its systems. Design Engineers perform research and come up with new ideas for products and the systems used to create them. The role also includes analyzing existing products with a view to improving their efficiency and overall performance.
Education and Qualifications
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering discipline required. (Mechanical / Production).
- PMP, Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing certification preferred.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in automotive design or within relevant industry is preferred, with experience in all phases of design process from idea conception throughout production.
- An excellent grasp of engineering and design principles.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a creative approach for generating new ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to produce data driven decisions & produce results.
- Knowledge of design process, production process and materials required in production.
- Knowledge in basic product release terms and processes.
- Knowledge in basic fabrication and manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge in performance requirements (strength, stiffness, crash).
- Fluent with mechanical assembly drawings.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
- Experience in automated drafting and 3-D Modeling, CATIA, CREO, CAE systems required.
- Adheres to Engineering Department’s policies, procedures and work processes.
- Assist engineering staff in the design and development of systems and components. Interface with engineering staff effectively to ensure the form, fit and function of designs while also working with fabrication managers to ensure cost effectiveness and manufacturability of designs.
- Supports the Sr. Design Engineer in concept and design development through all the phases of design for NIMR vehicle and its related systems.
- Collaborate with the engineering staff to produce design sketches and drawings in accordance with applicable standards. Accurately incorporate welding symbols and tolerances into design drawings.
- Originate and/or review structural analyses, prototype test processes, operations procedures, and reports using computer-aided engineering (CAE) and appropriate computer software.
- Review and verify design drawings and other technical documentation prepared by others to ensure correctness and accuracy in form, fit and function.
- Works in close collaboration with internal team members and external suppliers to develop concepts and products.
- Supports in developing presentations for new ideas and innovative designs and conducts as required.
- Provides assistance in managing the release of all technical documentation including drawings, design failure mode effects and analysis (DFMEA) and design validation and reporting (DVP&R).
- Creates 3D model concepts for discussion and approval.
- Creates 2D drawings of approved 3D models for production and manufacturing.
- Works towards ensuring that the document release is according to international standards as established by the organization.
- Provides design instructions to Designers as required.
- Develops drawings mark-up and stack analysis, GD&T and component drawings.
- Maintains records and reports to the Sr. Design Engineer and other departments for updates, review and feedback for all outputs and delivery time schedules.
- Provides functional guidance to direct reports on a periodic basis.
- Undertakes performance review and feedback for direct subordinates.
- Identifies and arranges for need based training inputs for subordinates.
- Works within the limits of authority as defined by the Sr. Design Services Manager/ Respective Project Engineering Manager.