The HSE Officer is responsible for maintaining, improving and strengthening QHSE department specifically in the HSE aspect in accordance with standard in order to ensure that adequate assistance is provided to HSE team during everyday activities.
Education and Qualifications
- Diploma or Certification in a safety-related field or an equivalent qualification
- NEBOSH certification
- OSHAD certified Generalist / OHS Technical Specialists – Grade A
- 5 years of relevant experience as a Safety Officer / HSE officer preferably in a related marine industry
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of shipbuilding and ship maintenance and repair industry
- Knowledge of international safety standards
- Knowledge of ISO, OHSAS standards
- Knowledge of OSHAD standards & requirements
- Knowledge of shipbuilding quality management system and standards
- Knowledge of classification society and other regulatory bodies for shipbuilding
- Multitasking skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Physical and mental fitness
- Attention to details
- Analytical experience
- Auditing skills
- Planning and organising skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Problem solving skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Takes care of the facilities in the area where he is assigned by Senior Safety Officer
- Issues all the hot work / cold work permits & confined space entry permit on the vessels & inside the ADSB yard.
- Inspects scaffolding (fixed / mobile) for approval & weekly inspection.
- Keeps a record of permits issued each day which is forwarded to Senior Safety Officer for further analysis if required
- Conducts bi-weekly internal QHSE inspection using check lists provided and makes presentation on wet berths, dry berths, storage areas and other locations of the vessel in the yard and prepares the reports as per the plan, tracking the finding until it is cleared and closed.
- Conveys the points of risk assessment to the work force through supervisors
- Takes part in camp inspection (internal & external) and reports the fire & safety related findings.
- Reports all the deficiencies, damages or breach of safety to concerned dept.
- Handles HSE inspection of vessels under repair, refit and under construction.
- Responsible for HSE inspection of sub-contractors in the yard to ensure safe work practices are being carried out.
- Observes and implements the requirements for safe work practices at all times whether undertaking duties in the shipyard, or at an off-site location or on a vessel at sea.
- Ensures that all ADSB employees including sub-contractors comply with the requirements for safe work practices.
- Reports all non-compliance, unsafe practices, conditions and acts and near misses to the concerned department in order to resolve the issues and prevent recurrence.
- Takes part in monthly safety walk around in the yard with different departments and reports the short comings for betterment of safety.
- Conducts safety induction for new recruits
- Conducts bi-weekly toolbox talk meetings to enhance safety awareness among the employees.
Incident Investigation and Analysis
- Conducts accident investigation to find out the root cause of the incident and reporting.
- Contributes in analysis of incidents, identifies trends and root causes.
Quality, Health, Safety & Environment:
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures, standards, controls and systems across manufacturing / resource management activities to guarantee employee health and safety, compliance with statutory and classification requirements, delivery of high quality work in line with quality control standards
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality and OHSE procedures, instructions and controls in order to guarantee the safety of employees, quality of products/ services and environment.
- Motivates self and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account international leading practices, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement. Delegate’s authority to subordinates as part of Development.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
- Recommends improvements to departmental policy and manages the implementation of procedures and controls covering all areas of activity so that all relevant procedural requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective services.
Statistics and Reports
- Prepares or reviews in a timely and accurate manner safety reports and statistics to meet QSE policies and standards, and department requirements.