The Planning Engineer is responsible for developing and monitoring the execution of high-level and detailed schedules and plans for a specific ADSB program/project in order to ensure that various project work, teams and resources are efficiently planned, integrated and organized to meet project requirements. Coordinate within the project team and other departments to update and maintain the schedule and progress reporting.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or any equivalent qualification.
- Diploma (3 years) in Engineering with 3 years working experience.
- Schedule Management Professional (SMP) Certificate preferable
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in project planning in commercial or military shipbuilding.
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Project management tools and concepts with accepted scheduling practices
- Knowledge of relevant project planning tools and systems (MS Project, Primavera etc.) and other computer skills
- se ecialisation in structural and welding worksal or supervisory responsibiltiies.portions of project contracts are complnowledge of ships (i.e. technical drawings, technical specifications, etc.)
- Knowledge of shipbuilding and ship repair project requirements and lifecycle
- Understanding of project resource planning and monitoring
- Deep knowledge of planning activities and related processes
- Deep knowledge of shipyard related activities and aspects including different classes of ships, spare parts, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent Mathematical skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to efficiently work around complexities and roadblocks that keep occurring from time to time
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders at the same time
- Ability to work in multitasking on additional activities as per requirement
- Analyses project activities by reviewing the workshop/ shipyard capacity and availability, and work-flow in order to prepare a comprehensive and adequate project plan, optimizing the use of time, resource requirements and man-hours and budgets on a particular project.
- Prepares, presents and disseminates schedules of work using adopted project management tools in order to ensure the required information is provided to involved employees in a timely manner.
- Ensures project plans are provided in a timely manner to support the compilation of ADSB’s project plans providing full picture of ADSB’s projects.
- Provides resource plans to the resource management team in order to ensure resources are available at each project stage (both repair and construction projects).
- Ensure sufficient progress data sheets are available for measuring and monitoring the progress of the project and the progress sheets are aligned with the schedules.
Support to submission of Proposals
- Review the technical documentations (Tech specs, Schedules, test and trial plans, build strategy etc)
- Support in estimation of scope and resource requirement
- Support in development of proposal documents (statement of work, project management plan, test and trial plan, master time schedule, monthly report format etc.)
- Coordinate with other teams in reviewing and preparing the proposal documents
- Participate in technical discussions with strategic partners, potential sub-contractors and suppliers.
Progress Review and Support to Project Manager
- Manages and monitors project progress and percentage completion on a regular basis against the project plan in order to report on status and flag issues impacting the delivery of the projects of the assigned segment.
- Collects data on projects, evaluates dates to completion and project delays in order to ensure those delays are adequately managed
- Collect the actual resource spent on the project and produce resource report and estimate to complete values
- Support Project Manager in preparing various reports (Weekly traffic light reports, monthly progress reports, Contract Status review meetings)
- Support Project Manager in preparing various presentations for Senior Management and or customer on need basis.
- Liaises, consults and coordinates with project team members to incorporate relevant information that will affect the implementation of the project schedule and progress reports.
- Collaborates with the finance team to report on project progress and variations from timelines in order to ensure data required for reviewing financial information is available in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Supply chain to follow up and update of deliveries of equipment/item and update the schedule and inform to project team for detailed planning of activities.
Production and Project Support
- Assists project and production teams through providing technical support on project planning-related matters and through participating in project agenda meetings in order to support the timely and accurate execution of high-level and detailed project schedules.
Quality, Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures, standards, controls and systems across manufacturing / resource management activities to guarantee employee health and safety, compliance with statutory and classification requirements, delivery of high quality work (in line with quality control standards)
- Motivates self and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account international leading practices, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
- Follows all relevant engineering policies, systems, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner
Progress Updates and Reports
- Prepares departmental reports in a timely and accurate manner to meet ADSB policies and standards, and department requirements.
- Ensures that critical progress updates and findings are reported to ADSB senior management and key program stakeholders so that prompt action is taken to minimise impact on the overall program.