The Project Engineer is responsible for supervising and providing guidance to the team to control and monitor project resources (manpower, budgets etc.) throughout the lifecycle of a specific ADSB programme/project, coordinating with all project stakeholders and resolving issues, in order to ensure that information and shipyard resources are in line with established project schedules, plans and budgets. Support program manager on governance through risk analysis and responses and prepare cases of risk escalations.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Marine, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from a reputable university
- Diploma in Electrical, Marine, Mechanical or equivalent with 3 years of work experience
- PMP Certificate preferable
8-10 years of relevant project control experience preferably in commercial and/or military ship building, including at least 3 years in positions involving supervisory responsibilities
Job-Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of ship building and maintenance industry
- Strong knowledge of project management processes and principles
- Knowledge of contractual agreements and warrant claim management
- Planning and organizing skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to work independently, within a team and in a diverse workforce
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Influencing and negotiating skills
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings and technical manuals.
- Knowledge of shipboard machinery, equipment, piping systems, propulsion system, electrical systems and navigation systems
- Communication skills
- Planning and organising skills
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Ability to think ahead
- Ability to travel as needed
- Supervises day-to-day project control activities, providing guidance to the team, encouraging teamwork, facilitating related professional work processes, and resolving any escalated issues in order to ensure that work is correctly prioritised and completed as per the requirements
Day-to-Day Project Operations
- Assists project and production teams in coordinating day-to-day project operations RFQ management, work order and vendor management, material delivery and support etc. in order to ensure that key event requirements of overall project schedules are met, thus meeting project and contract requirements and milestones. Monitor performance KPI as per the project contract requirements, Generation of Business case for spares.
Communication of Schedules
- Ensures the timely and accurate communication of the overall schedules and resource plans (including budgetary constraints pertaining to assigned man-hours) to project stakeholders so that they are informed of key project events, constraints and requirements.
Control of Schedules
- Ensures the on-going control of progress against project schedules in order to identify short term delays and provide workaround schedules that would address the issues without delaying the overall schedules.
- Ensures that any long term delays are timely identified and reported to the Project Manager for prompt action.
Control of Resource Plans
- Ensures the on-going control of progress against resource plans (including the monitoring and reporting of man-hour bookings) in order to identify potential resource issues (including erroneous bookings), in coordination with project and operation teams, and ensures that prompt action is taken as and when needed.
- Assists in distributing approved labour man-hours and in assigning resources in order to ensure the development of detailed plans to be used for progress monitoring/control and reporting
Operations and Project Support
- Works closely with project and operations teams and provides project control support in order to ensure timely, effective and accurate resource allocation, in line with project plans and schedules.
Project Control Documentation
- Develops and provides relevant project control documentation in order to ensure timely and accurate availability for any future reference.
- Preparation and verification of Milestone documents
Supervision of Subordinates
- Organizes and supervises the activities and work of subordinates to ensure that all work within a specific area of activity is carried out in an efficient manner which is consistent with operating policies and procedures.
- Provides on-the-job training and constructive feedback to subordinates to support their overall development.
- Coordinates with internal departments and sections (e.g. within planning and with engineering, project teams, manufacturing / resource management etc.) in order to ensure the smooth flow of activities as per agreed standards, schedules and objectives.
Quality, Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensures compliance with all relevant quality, health, safety and environmental management procedures, standards, controls and systems across manufacturing / resource management activities to guarantee employee health and safety, compliance with statutory and classification requirements, delivery of high quality work (in line with quality control standards).
- Motivate subordinates and identify opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account international leading practices, improvement of business processes, cost reduction and productivity improvement. Analyse customer satisfaction surveys and prepare corrective action reports.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures
- Follows departmental policy and manages the implementation of procedures and controls covering all areas of activity so that all relevant procedural requirements are fulfilled while delivering a quality, cost-effective services.
Progress Updates and Reports
- Validates and reports on progress updates provided by production in order to ensure that critical events and potential delays are timely and accurately communicated for prompt action, thus minimising impact on overall schedules.