To provide strategic legal direction to company, ensure compliance with local and international regimes. Adopt a pro-active approach to reduce legal risk. Act decisively regarding legal challenges that face the organization, and competently advise the higher Management.
Education and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in law
- Preferably Master’s degree in law
Qualifications and experience
- 15+ years of experience of which 5 -7 years of transaction experience in the capacity of a chief legal counsel with a large MNC or International Firm
- Admitted to practice law in in the United Arab Emirates or jurisdiction of United Kingdom or United States.
- Legal Due Diligence
- Research Skills
Core behavioural competencies
- Planning and organizing
- Accountability, Attitudes and Ethics
- Working together
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Negotiation and influence
- Manage the development and execution of the annual Legal Department plan, goals, and objectives in line with the organization's strategy, goals, and objectives;
- To spearhead negotiations for specific company agreements during acquisition, Joint venture, Co-venturing, ensure company interests are protected within agreements finalized;
- To initiate and lead dialogue and/or discussions on terms of engagement for transactions on property, supply of goods and services, personnel related when appropriate in relation to risk or scale;
- Identify risks within the legal framework for Company and advice on risk mitigation strategies. Establish guidelines and policies to secure/facilitate on-going compliance with risk mitigation strategies;
- Evaluate legal impact of key decisions in the event of ambiguous, controversial or conflicting law, regulations or case facts. Counsel management on consequences of legally unsound decisions or plans during alteration of laws;
- To assess company legal standing to UAE and international laws and regulations, keep abreast on latest legal broadcasts, advise Senior Management on their implications and ensure full compliance with current laws;
- Provide professional legal expertise – (advice, clarifications and legal opinion) to Division and subsidiaries on legal aspects of business, adopt a proactive approach and ensure all legal provisions are adhered to in protection from adverse legal consequences;
- Ensure that information regarding essential and statutory provisions and procedures is provided to all concerned and these are implemented as per required standards;
- Review and approve documents, contracts, memorandum of understanding (MoU's), and letters from a legal standpoint and ensure the organization's position is protected. Define the legal structure of projects and oversee drafting of agreements and contracts by subordinates;
- Define and develop new processes, systems and procedures for improved efficiency in documentation and direct the development of standard legal documents and templates, where possible.
- Manage the outsourcing of legal work within agreed guidelines, select and manage external legal firms and ensure quality and cost-effectiveness in their services to the organization;
- Provide strategy for critical cases to achieve maximum advantage for the organization;
- Ensure high level of secrecy and privacy for all legal data is maintained for the organization;
- Perform any other relevant tasks as directed by the CEO;
- Point of liaison with EDIC Legal Counselor; and
- Ensure the availability of required resources to carry out all the tasks related to the Legal Department functions.